- The experimental surgery division was founded by the late Professor Albert Ly-young Shen, the department head of the Department of Surgery.
- This was the first microsurgery training center in Taiwan.
- It has offered many lectures and practical sessions on surgical laparoscopy since the beginning of laparoscope development.
- It received donations from the private sector to upgrade the experimental surgery classroom equipment in 2001 and to found the Shutien Surgical Skills Training Laboratory.
- To allow the acquisition of basic surgical techniques in a simulated environment and to provide students opportunities to carry out real operations.
- To provide training for medical students, interns and practicing surgeons.
- To provide a training facility for the public.