國立陽明大學心智哲學研究所 一百學年度 第二學期 研究所課程
授課教師：Thomas Benda 教授
課程大綱與目標 ( Course Description and Objectives )
Metaphysics has been since the times of Aristotle one of the most important branches of philosophy. It deals with what there is and its nature. Its knowledge is indispensable for anyone who aspires to be called a philosopher.
Our course concentrates on contemporary metaphysicians. We will read at least one article in every session. At the end of the course, participants will have a good overview of the current discussion.
The course will be demanding. Extensive reading and thorough preparation will be a requirement from all participants.
Schedule by weeks: (18 weeks)
2. W.V. Quine, On what there is.
3. Bertrand Russell, Existence and description.
4. W.V. Quine, Ontological relativity.
5. Max Black, The identity of indicernibles.
6. John Perry, The same F.
7. D.M. Armstrong, Universals as attributes.
8. W.V. Quine, Natural kinds.
9. Roderick M. Chisholm, Identity through time.
10. Sidney Shoemaker, Persons and their pasts.
11. Derek Parfit, Personal identity.
12. J.L. Mackie, Causes and conditions.
13. C.D. Broad, Mechanism and emergentism.
14. Jaegwon Kim, Multiple realization and the metaphysics of reduction.
15. Jaegwon Kim, Supervenience as a philosophical concept.
16. Michael Dummett, Realism.
17. Hilary Putnam, Pragmatic realism.
18. Crispin Wright, Realism, antirealism, irrealism, and quasi-realism.
指定閱讀及參考書目 ( Textbook and References )
J. Kim, E. Sosa, Metaphysics—an Anthology, Blackwell (1999)
Recommended for further study is
J. Kim, E. Sosa, A Companion to Metaphysics, Blackwell (1995)
成績考核 ( Grading )
Grades are given for at least two required oral presentations and an optional term paper.
The term paper shall be written in English and typed (not hand-written) in 12 pt font, 1.5-line-spaced with a total of 7 - 10 pages.
Due date and time is Monday 1 pm of the week of the final exam at the latest.
Every student is expected actively to attend class.
Grading depends on active participation.