Henrich Cheng Professor
1993-1996 Karolinska Institute. Ph.D. in Neuroscience, Stockholm, Sweden
1975-1983 National Yang-Ming University. Doctorate degree in Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
2005- Visiting Professor, Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, Davis, California, USA
2005- Professor of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
2002-2005 Chief of the Neural Regeneration Center
1997-2003 Neural Regeneration Laboratory Chief of Staff , Neurological Institute, Taipei Veterans General Hospital,
Associate Professor of Surgery, Department of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
1998-2002 Visiting Professor, Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
1990-2001 Attending Physician, Department of Neurosurgery, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
1990-1997 Lecturer, Surgery Section, Department of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
2006 American Hall of Fame
2006 Leading Health Professionals of the World International Biographical Center, Cambridge, England
2004 First Outstanding Alumnus, National Yang-Ming University Award
2003 Outstanding Physician, Veterans Affairs Commission, Executive Yuan, ROC
2003 Outstanding Research & Development, Veterans Affairs Commission, Executive Yuan, ROC
Strategies for Neural Regeneration: Growth Factor Cocktail Therapy, Olfactory Ensheathing Cell, and Neuroprotective Gene Therapy
2003 Certificate of Achievement Award, 10th Sino-Japan Symposium on Cancer Treatment, Taiwan
2001 Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation, Research Grants Program Award
2001 Nominated for Best Hospital Structure Recommendation: Spinal Cord Injury Repair Strategy, The Executive Yuan of the Republic of China
1999 Erenst Bors Society Research Award, California, USA
1997-1998 Medical Innovation Award, Taipei Veterans General Hospital
1997-1998 Amzhong Who’s Who Award, Outstanding Academic Achievement, USA
1997 Le Laureat, Neurology & Psy Association of France
Major Research Interests:
Repair of spinal cord and nerve roots after trauma
Neural regeneration and trophic factor
- Fu SW, Lin YY, Chou SC, Kao LS, Hsu SY, Cheng FC, Shih YH, Cheng H, Fu YY, Jia-Yi. Tetramethylpyrazine Inhibits Activities of Glioma Cells and Glutamate Neuro-excitotoxicity – Potential Therapeutic Application for Treatment of Glioma. NEURO-ONCOLOGY 2008;10:139-152.
- Lee MJ, Chen CJ, Cheng CH, Huang WC, Kuo HS, Wu JC, Tsai MJ, Huang MC, Chang WC and Cheng H. Combined Treatment Using Peripheral Nerve Graft and Acidic FGF-1: Changes to the Glial Environment and Differential Macrophage Reaction in a Complete Transected Spinal Cord. NEUROSCIENCE LETTERS 2008;433:163-169.
- Wu TC, Huang WC, Chen YC, Shih YH, Cheng H. Stabilization of subaxial cervical spines by lateral mass screw fixation with modified Margerl's technique. SURGICAL NEUROLOGY 2008;70:25-33.
- Wu JC, Huang WC, Cheng H, Liang ML, Ho CY, Wong TT, Shih YH, and Yen YS. Endoscopic Transnasaal Transclival Odontoidectomy: A New Approach to Decompression -Technical Case Report. NEUROSURGERY 2008;63: ONSE92-ONSE94.
- Wu JC, Huang WC, Tsai TA, Chen YC, and Cheng H. Nerve repair using acidic fibroblast growth factor in human cervical spinal cord injury: a preliminary Phase I clinical study. JOURNAL OF NEUROSURGERY-SPINE 2008;8:208-214.
- Wu JC and Cheng H. Response to Editorial, Repair of the chronically injured human spinal cord. JOURNAL OF NEUROSURGERY-SPINE 2008;8:205-207.
- Chou YH, Chao Ms. Tsai, Cheng H, Chen KB, Yang DM, Yang CH, Lin AMY. Arsenite-induced cytotoxicity in dorsal root ganglion explants. FREE RADICAL BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE 2008;44:1553-1561.
- Ho SC, Chiu JH, Yeh TC, Hsieh JC, Cheng HC, Cheng H and Ho LT. Quantification of electroacupuncture-induced neural activity by analysis of functional neural imaging with monocrystalline iron oxide nanocolloid enhancement. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF CHINESE MEDICINE 2008;36:493-504.
- Chou CW, Huang WC, Shih YH, Lee LS, Wu C, Cheng H. Occult occipital condyle fracture with normal neurological function and torticollis. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NEUROSCIENCE 2008;15:920-922.
- Yang CC, Shih YH, Ko MH, Hsu SY, Cheng H, Fu YS. Transplantation of Human Umbilical Mesenchymal Stem Cells from Wharton's Jelly after Complete Transection of the Rat Spinal Cord. PLoS ONE 2008;3:3336.
- Tsai MC, Shen LF, Kuo HS, Cheng H, and Chak KF. Involvement of Acidic Fibroblast Growth Factor in spinal cord injury repair processes revealed by a proteomic approach. MOLECULAR & CELLULAR PROTEOMICS 2008;7:1668-1687
- Hsu YH, Liang ML, Yen YS, Cheng H, Huang CI, Huang WC. Use of screw-rod system in occipitocervical fixation. JOURNAL OF CHINESE MEDICAL ASSOCIATION 2009;72:20-28.
- Shen LF, Cheng H, Tsai MC, Kuo HS, Chak KF. PAL31 may play an important role as inflammatory modulator in the repair process of the spinal cord injury rat. JOURNAL OF NEUROCHEMISTRY 2009;108:1187 – 1197.
- Wu JC, Huang WC, Huang MC, Tsai YA, Y Chen C, Shih YH and Cheng H. A novel strategy for repairing preganglionic cervical root avulsion in brachial plexus injury by sural nerve grafting. JOURNAL OF NEUROSURGERY 2009;110:775 – 785.
- Berg RW, Chen MT, Huang HC, Hsiao MC, Cheng H. A method for unit recording in the lumbar spinal cord during locomotion of the conscious adult rat. JOURNAL OF NEUROSCIENCE METHODS 2009;182:49-54.
- Huang MC, Lo MJ, Lin YL, Huang WC, Tsai MJ, Kuo HS, Kuo WC, Shih YH, Cheng H. Functional recovery after the repair of transected cervical roots in a chronic stage of injury. JOURNAL OF NEUROTRAUMA 2009;26:1795-804.
- Tsai MJ, Chen YMA, Weng CF, Liou DY, Yang HC, Chen CH, Liao RIH, Kuo FS, Chiu CW, Kuo HS, Huang MC, Lin YL, Lee MJ, Kuo WC, Huang WC, Cheng H. Enhanced Expression of Glycine N-Methyltransferase by Adenovirus-Mediated Gene Transfer in Mixed Neuronal Culture is Neuroprotective. ANNALS OF THE NEW YORK ACADEMY OF SCIENCES (Accepted on Feb 15, 2009.)