Yau-Huei Wei (魏耀揮教授)
PhD. Biochemistry, State University of New York at Albany
1. Molecular and cellular biological studies of human cells harboring mitochondrial DNA mutations associated with mitochondrial diseases and human aging
2. Oxidative stress in human diseases--Molecular and biochemical consequences of oxidative stress elicited by mitochondrial DNA mutations and/or defects in the antioxidant defense system
3. Biochemical and molecular biological studies on mitochondrial roles in diminished fertility of spermatozoa and oocytes
Over 270 refereed scientific papers have been published in international journals, and more than 30 articles have been published in Symposium Monograph or Special Book Chapters. A total of 15 invited review articles on mitochondrial DNA mutations in human aging and mitochondrial diseases have recently been published in prestigious international journals. The Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry was translated into Chinese for teaching of undergraduate biochemistry (2 volumes). In addition, a textbook on “Experimental Biochemistry” was written for the teaching of the experiment course of undergraduate biochemistry in Taiwan.
Refereed papers (2002-2006):
1. Lu, C.Y., Tso, D.J., Yang, T., Jong, Y.J., and Wei, Y.H. (2002) Detection of DNA mutations associated with mitochondrial diseases by Agilent 2100 bioanalyzer. Clin. Chim. Acta 318:97-105.
2. Wei, Y. H., and H. C. Lee (2002) Oxidative stress, mitochondrial DNA mutation and impairment of antioxidant enzymes in aging. Exp. Biol. Med. 227:671-682.
3. Lee, H. C., P. H. Yin, C. W. Chi, and Y. H. Wei (2002) Increase of mitochondrial mass in human fibroblasts under oxidative stress and during replicative cell senescence. J. Biomed. Sci. 9:517-526.
4. Wei, Y. H., and H. C. Lee (2003) Mitochondrial DNA mutations and oxidative stress in mitochondrial diseases. Adv. Clin. Chem. 37:83-128.
5. Lin, P. H., S. H. Lee, C. P. Su, and Y. H. Wei (2003) Oxidative damage to mitochondrial DNA in atrial muscle of patients with atrial fibrillation. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 35:1310-1318.
6. Lu, C. Y., E. K. Wang, H. C. Lee, and Y. H. Wei (2003) Increased expression of manganese-superoxide dismutase in fibroblasts from patients with CPEO syndrome. Mol. Genet. Metab. 80:321-329.
7. Liu, C. S., C. S. Tsai, C. L. Kuo, H. W. Chen, C. K. Lii, Y. S. Ma, and Y. H. Wei (2003) Oxidative stress-related alteration of the copy number of mitochondrial DNA in human leukocytes. Free Radic. Res. 37:1307-1317.
8. Lee, H. C., S. H. Li, J. C. Lin, C. C. Wu, D. C. Yeh, and Y. H. Wei (2004) Somatic mutations in the D-loop and decrease in the copy number of mitochondrial DNA in human hepatocellular carcinoma. Mutat. Res. 547:71-78.
9. Kau, H. C., C. C. Tsai, W. M. Hsu, J. H. Liu, and Y. H. Wei (2004) Genetic polymorphism of hOGG1 and risk of pterygium in Chinese. Eye 18:635-639.
10. Liu, C. Y., C. F. Lee, C. H. Hong, and Y. H. Wei (2004) Mitochondrial DNA mutation and depletion increase the susceptibility of human cells to apoptosis. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 1011:133-145.
11. Kao, S. H., H. T. Chao, H. W. Liu, T. L. Liao, and Y. H. Wei (2004) Sperm mitochondrial DNA depletion in men with asthenospermia. Fertil. Steril. 82:66-73.
12. Chen, S. S., W. H. Huang, L. S. Chang, and Y. H. Wei (2004) 8-Hydroxy 2’-deoxyguanosine of leukocyte DNA in spermatic vein as a biomarker of oxidative stress in patients with varicocele. J. Urol. 172:1418-1421.
13. Yang, J. H., H. C. Lee, J. G. Chung, and Y. H. Wei (2004) Mitochondrial DNA mutations in light-associated skin tumors. Anticancer Res. 24:1753-1758.
14. Lee, H. C., and Y. H. Wei (2005) Mitochondrial biogenesis and mitochondrial DNA maintenance in mammalian cells under oxidative stress. Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol. 37:822-834.
15. Ma, Y. S., Y. C. Chen, C. Y. Lu, C. Y. Liu, and Y. H. Wei (2005) Up-regulation of matrix metalloproteinase 1 and disruption of mitochondrial network in skin fibroblasts of patients with MERRF syndrome. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 1042:55-63.
16. Liu, C. S., C. L. Kuo, W. L. Cheng, C. S. Huang, C. F. Lee, and Y. H. Wei (2005) Alteration of the copy number of mitochondrial DNA in leukocytes of patients with hyperlipidemia. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 1042:70-75.
17. Liu, C. S., W. L. Cheng, Y. Y. Chen, Y. S. Ma, C. Y. Pang, and Y. H. Wei (2005) High prevalence of mitochondrial DNA polymorphism in the COII/tRNALys intergenic 9-bp deletion in Taiwanese patients with MELAS or MERRF syndrome. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 1042:82-87.
18. Lee, C. F., C. Y. Liu, R. H. Hsieh, and Y. H. Wei (2005) Oxidative stress-induced depolymerization of microtubules and alteration of mitochondrial mass in human cells. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 1042:246-254.
19. Lee, C. F., C. Y. Liu, S. M. Chen, M. Sikorska, C. Y. Lin, T. L. Chen, and Y. H. Wei (2005) Attenuation of UV-induced apoptosis by coenzyme Q10 in human cells harboring large-scale deletion of mitochondrial DNA. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 1042:429-438.
20. Liu, C. S., Y. Y. Chen, W. L. Cheng, C. S. Tsai, C. F. Lee, Y. S. Ma, C. Y. Lin, C. C. Huang, and Y. H. Wei (2006) Alteration of the copy number of mitochondrial DNA in leukocytes of patients with mitochondrial encephalomyopathies. Acta Neurol. Scand. 113:334-341.
21. Kau, H. C., C. C. Tsai, C. F. Lee, S. C. Kao, W. M. Hsu, J. H. Liu, and Y. H. Wei (2006) Increased oxidative DNA damage, 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine, in human pterygium. Eye, 20:826-831.
22. Lee, C. F., Y. C. Chen, C. Y. Liu, and Y. H. Wei (2006) Involvement of protein kinase C d in the alteration of mitochondrial mass in human cells under oxidative stress. Free Radic. Biol. Med., 40:2136-2146.
23. YEN MY, WANG AG, WEI YH. (2006) Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy: A multifactorial disease.. Pro. in Retinal and Eye Res.;25:381-396.
24. YANG JH, HSIA TC, KUO HM, LEE CHAO PD, WEI YH, CHUNG JG. (2006) Inhibition of lung cancer cell growth by quercetin glucuronides via G2/M arrest and induction of apoptosis.. Drug Metabolism and Disposition 34:296-304.
25. TSENG LM, YIN PH, CHI CW, HSU CY, WU CW, LEE LM, WEI YH, LEE HC.(2006) Mitochondrial DNA mutations and mitochondrial DNA depletion in breast cancer.. Genes Chromosomes & Cancer 45:629-638.
26. THAJEB P, MA YS, TZEN CY, CHUANG CK, WU TY, CHEN SC, WEI YH. (2006)Oculopharyngeal somatic myopathy in a patient with a novel large-scale 3399 bp deletion and a homoplasmic T5814C transition of the mitochondrial DNA.. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery 108:407-410.
27. PENG TI, YU PR, CHEN JY, WU HY, WANG HL, WEI YH, JOU MJ. (2006)Visualizing common deletion of mitochondrial DNA-augmented mitochondrial reactive oxygen species generation and apoptosis upon oxidative stress.. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta- Molecular Basis of Disease 1762:241-255.
28. LAU LI, CHEN SJ, CHENG CY, YEN MY, LEE FL, LIN MW, HSU WM, WEI YH. (2006)Association of the Y402H polymorphism in complement factor H and neovascular age-related macular degeneration in Chinese patients.. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science 47:3242-3246.