(1) To enable Taiwan to compete at the international level
in brain research.
(2) To act as a model of how to conduct research and education
in a multi-disciplinary topic for other Taiwan institutions.
(3) To stimulate interactions among scientists with diverse
backgrounds to work on problems of common interest that have
a grand scope.
(4) To develop the coordination of basic biomedical research,
so that it may lead to useful clinical applications more quickly.
(5) To help to establish a vibrant biotechnology industry that
will benefit the mental and physical health of society as well
as the economy of Taiwan.