PhD. Biochemistry, University of California, Los Angeles
1. Bacterial synthesis and degradation of biodegradable biopolymer poly-β-hydroxybutyrate (PHB): identification and characterization of novel polymerase and depolymerase genes.
2. Signal transduction and regulation of PHB biosynthesis and mobilization.
3. Genetics and molecular biology of bacteria: gene regulation and gene function---sigma factor, anti-sigma factor, catabolite repression in Bacillus spp..
4. Structure-function analyses of various DNA-binding proteins and enzymes of bacteria.
1. Lee, T.R., Hsu, H.P., and Shaw, G.C. (2001) Transcriptional regulation of the Bacillus subtilis bscR-CYP102A3 operon by the BscR repressor and differential induction of cytochrome CYP102A3 expression by oleic acid and palmitate. J. Biochem. 130, 569-574.
2. Shaw, G.C., Chiou, C.Y., Chou, Y.H., and Li, J.M. (2002) mbgA-dependent lactose utilization by Bacillus megaterium. Curr. Microbiol. 44, 102-105.
3. Chiou, C.Y., Wang, H.H., Shaw, G.C. (2002) Identification and characterization of the non-PTS fru locus of Bacillus megaterium ATCC 14581. Mol. Genet. Genomics 268:240-248.
4. Lee, T.R., Lin, J.S., Wang, S.S., and Shaw, G.C. (2004) PhaQ, a new class of poly-β-hydroxybutyrate (PHB)-responsive repressor, regulates phaQ and phaP (phasin) expression in Bacillus megaterium through interaction with PHB. J. Bacteriol. 186:3015-3021.
5. Li, J.M., Chiou, C.Y., Lee, T.R., Chen, Y.S., and Shaw, G.C. (2005) Identification of a lactose-responsive element upstream of the promoter of Bacillus megaterium β-galactosidase-encoding gene mbgA. Curr. Microbiol. 51:31-34.
6. Shaw, G.C., Wu, M.Y., Lee, T.R., and Hsu, C.W. (2005) The influence of nucleotide sequences at and near ribosome-binding site on translational efficiency of the Bacillus subtilis rho gene. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1729, 10-13.
7. Tseng, C.L., Chen, H.J., and Shaw, G.C. (2006) Identification and characterization of the Bacillus thuringiensis phaZ gene, encoding new intracellular poly-3-hydroxybutyrate depolymerase. J. Bacteriol. 188: 7592-7599.
Metabolism and molecular biology of biodegradable biopolymer PHB and gene regulation in Bacillus spp.